Tuesday, December 6, 2011

50 pounds of flour

Yes, I did buy 50 pounds of flour. In my mind, I was buying wheat flour in which I could divide up and sell to my friends. In my defence, my friend Phyllis used to do this when I lived here before. I was just following in her footsteps.
Do you see where it says, wheat flour? Right? And Special Wheat gave me hope that this was indeed "special" not "normal". Need a bigger look?

Well, when I opened the 50 pound bag, I saw reality, which is . . .yup, white flour. And without a high demand on white flour, I'm on my own friends. So, lets see how long it takes me to use up 50 pounds of flour ok? Any guesses? And, please, inspire me with some of your recent favorite baked recipes. I've got a lot of flour to use!

Friday girls discussion. We're reading "When People are Big and God is Small" by Ed Welch. I read this book 10 years ago before getting married and it was helpful. Now, I'm rereading it and finding it equally helpful. I'm thankful for God's continued love for me expressed in His helping me search my heart and see my need for His help.

3 comments:

The mom~ster said...

This one has been a hit at our house -- let me know if you try it.

ENGLISH MUFFINS

2 TBS. dry yeast
2 C. warm water
1 TBS. sugar
1 TBS. salt
1/2 C shortening (margarine)
5-6 C. flour

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the sugar, salt and shortening. Mix till smooth. Add in the flour beating well. Knead in the last part (I knead in the last cup) to form a soft dough. Roll dough out to 1/2-3/4 inch thickness. Cut out with 4 inch circle cutter (i"m going to try a bit bigger of a cutter next time). Sprinkle cookies sheets with cornmeal. Carefully place muffins on the cookie sheets. Sprinkle with more cornmeal. Let rise 30 minutes in a warm place (I heated my oven a bit and then let them rise there with the door open). Cook on a non-greased, preheated griddle for 7 minutes. Carefully flip over and cook 7 more minutes on the other side. Fork split while still warm. Split and toast before eating. I got 26 muffins out of this recipe.

Julie said...

Well, the thing you've got going for you is the fact that nothing is living in white flour and it won't go rancid. :) It will be "good" for years. No hurry to use it all this year... or next.

We've been making sugar cookies - that are uh-may-zing - and super easy to roll out:

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2008/04/taste-of-yellow-yellow-rose-sugar.html

Julie said...

oh and BTW, this is TOTALLY something I would do, too!