Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Orphanage trip


This is Suixi, Emma's hometown, just a little town of 1.2 million people.This is the front of the orphanage. The director and his wife and some of the office staff.
This was one of 4 of the nanny's that was in Emma's room. She teared up when I asked her about Emma.
This was Emma's room. They said she was in the crib with the girl with the pink coat on. It was 11 am when we got there. The director was moving us through quickly so we didn't get to interact with them much.
This room was beside Emma's.
And this is the playroom with the slide where all of the pictures they sent us were taken.
It was a long day, but so worth it. It was great to be where Emma lived her first 17months of life. Great, but sad as well. Hard to imagine her there, in that crib for most of those 17 months. And hard to see all those kids left behind. We had lunch with the office staff and ran out of things to talk about. They seem like good people, and were very hospitable, but they are really just doing their government job. No talk of the problem of orphans, or how to best care for them. It was all pretty shallow and sad as I reflect on it.

Well, all are in bed now and I'm afraid I'll keep them up with this typing, so I must go. Will try and share more at a later time! We did our final paperwork signing today at the American Consulate. Just waiting on the Chinese passport and hen we can come home!!

2 comments:

Reidoutpost said...

Heartbreaking to see the other kids... glad you've got Emma! Her walking video is presh :) I can't wait to hear how meeting the boys goes at home!

In other news - I don't think I'll be ready for the half marathon in April, but I'm thinking about doing a weeny 5k :) in Cincinnati earlier in April and then I could come hang out with you guys for a couple days and meet Emma... We can talk about it when you get back.

scs said...

Oh those photos of the babies in the cribs made me teary--bet it's hard not to wish you could take them all with you. So neat to be able to visit Emma's hometown. Love you guys and thankful we'll get to meet her on your way back!!!